Saturday, July 31, 2021

New top story on Hacker News: Ask HN: Jobs in Software/Technology Activism?

Ask HN: Jobs in Software/Technology Activism?
12 by nixpulvis | 4 comments on Hacker News.
I'm currently looking for a new job and in addition to the many more typical jobs I'm applying to, I'd be very interested to hear about positions in what I'm tempted to call "activism". I'm not 100% sure what it is I'm even asking for, which is part of the motivation for this thread; hoping that someone more knowledgeable might be able to guide me in the right direction. What I'm looking for is this: - Champions of Free and Open Source Software / Hardware, Right to Repair, and other like causes - A full-time or part-time role (with other programming responsibilities) within a product or consulting company which gives time and resources to a team of like-minded folk, or - A full-time position as a writer / evangelist / technology new reporter, or - A policy oriented position with a US politician, or - Everything else that I'm not thinking of... I'm a coder by training and at heart, but I currently am having a hard time turning a blind eye to the state of our industry. I'm thinking I should at least try and ask about way I can devote my time to the solution. On that note, if a paying job addressing these issues isn't really in the cards, I'd be curious to hear how others are making meaningful impact in their free time. Thanks.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Florida School Restricts Access to Amanda Gorman’s Inauguration Poem

By BY AMANDA HOLPUCH from NYT U.S. https://ift.tt/fIlhCeE